Keeping employees engaged is perhaps the biggest challenge that all companies are facing. Entrepreneurs are always thinking about how to grab the opportunity to gain long-term commitment from the employees. What I observed during my consultancy experience is that all MNCs are working on employee engagement activities but many SMEs are unaware of the same.
Employee engagement activities should be more about the emotion than the intellect. Managers are busy, employees are disengaged. This is a very precarious situation faced by all companies and is precisely the reason why employee engagement activities come into play.
The word “activities” indicate a call to action. Activities are a great way to engage and involve people to show your employees that you care.
In this article, we will see some employee engagement activities to boost morale and increase job satisfaction.
Some Employee Engagement Activities are as under
- Involve employees in your business planning process: With SMEs, it has been observed that many companies are making their strategy sheets for the next 1, 2 or 3 years. Involve your team in planning, assessing opportunities and coming up with improvement ideas for your business strategies. Also make sure that if you have the multiple offices then not only involve employees from Head Office but also involve from other branches. By doing this, you will foster loyalty and also have a prepared leadership pipeline.
- Encourage and provide learning opportunities: Knowledge is the power of the 21st century so create your own academy where employees can access the knowledge, develop and grab the opportunities that they need. This is one of the reasons why employees quit companies due to lack of learning opportunities.
- Sports competitions: Introduce sports competitions such as inter department cricket matches, football games, etc. This is an exceptional team building exercise as well as a good form of physical and mental exercise.
- Regular Potlucks create a positive vibe: “With food, we can share and communicate our emotions. It’s that mindset of sharing that is really what you are eating.”– Jeong Kwan. A potluck is basically a food party where each guest contributes a different homemade dish of food to share. This activity is nothing but bonding over food.
- Hold a birthday breakfast with the CEO: Face time with executive leadership is highly prized by front-line workers, but difficult to come by without a plan. One idea is to have a monthly or Quarterly breakfast/lunch with the CEO and everyone who has a birthday that month.
Peer-to-peer Recognition works wonders: Peer-to-peer employee recognition is 35.7 % more likely to have a positive impression on financial results than manager-only recognition.– Source (SHRM/Glob force Employee Recognition Survey)
Try to remember the last time when someone told you what a great job you have done?
All in all, having a peer-to-peer appreciation is an outstanding way to build an environment of gratitude and appreciation, where colleagues thank each other for their accomplishments.
Other employee engagement activities are as under
- ‘The Employee of the month’ award should be celebrated on a regular basis
- Build a great mentorship program
- Office Trips are great for team building
- Silly Office Trophies are fun and engaging
- Create your own internal magazine
- Celebrate your own organization’s day
- Implement work-life balance by engaging in different activities
We know that engaging your employees may seem like an enormous task that can never be accomplished but try to incorporate employee engagement activities in your organization and we are sure that you will have a more productive, engaged and happier workforce at hand.